October 15, 2015 – William Grant & Sons is releasing a new series of single malt whiskies over the next five years to honor longtime Malt Master David Stewart, with the first chapter of The Balvenie DCS Compendium to be made available globally starting this month. The collection will include whiskies from 1961, when David Stewart started working at Glenfiddich and The Balvenie distilleries in Dufftown, all the way to 2009 when the final chapter is released in 2020. 50 complete five-bottle sets of Chapter One will be available at a recommended price of £27,000 GBP ($41,800 USD), though pricing is likely to vary slightly depending on the market.
Chapter One includes five different single cask bottlings from 1968, 1978, 1985, 1997, and 2005 – all matured in refill American Oak casks and selected by David Stewart.
- 1968: Cask #7293 is 46 years old, matured in a refill American Oak hogshead cask and bottled at 45.9% ABV
- 1978: Cask #2708 is 37 years old, matured in a refill American Oak barrel and bottled at 50.2% ABV
- 1985: Cask #612 is 30 years old, matured in a refill American Oak barrel and bottled at 54.1% ABV
- 1997: Cask #5365 is 17 years old, matured in a refill American Oak barrel and bottled at 60.7% ABV
- 2005: Cask #6587 is 9 years old, matured in a refill American Oak barrel and bottled at 57.5% ABV
Each bottling will also be available on an individual basis, with recommended retail prices ranging from £19,000 GBP ($29,400 USD) for the 1968 cask to £400 ($620 USD) for the 2005 cask.
Links: The Balvenie