WhiskyCast is where it all begins. Now in our 10th year, each weekly episode brings you the latest in whisky news, along with the latest events, tasting notes, comments from other listeners, and the weekly “In-Depth” segment features interviews with the people who help make whisky the “water of life”. You can listen to episodes here or subscribe with iTunes or your favorite podcast app.
There’s one question Diageo’s whisky team has been asked for years — why can’t we have more Mortlach single malt bottlings? The Dufftown distillery has been prized by blenders for decades because its malt whisky adds depth and texture to their blends, but we’re about to see what Mortlach can be on its own. Diageo is investing millions of dollars to make Mortlach the next major single malt Scotch whisky, in what’s being described as the company’s biggest single malt venture since the launch of the Classic Malts range 25 years ago.
We’ll tour the distillery and discuss the expansion with managers Steve McGingle and Sean Phillips, and go through the four new Mortlach expressions to be launched in 2014 with Dr. Matthew Crow. In the news, The Macallan is getting a major investment of its own — a $245 million distillery expansion scheduled to begin in late 2014. We’ll also have more of your comments on age statements in Your Voice, along with tasting notes for a couple of the new Mortlachs and the latest Blue Hanger release from Berry Bros. & Rudd.
Links: Diageo | The Macallan | Office of Fair Trading | Whyte & Mackay | Vasari Global | Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery | Franklin County Sheriff’s Department | Michter’s | Glenfarclas | The Glenlivet | Wild Turkey | Berry Bros. & Rudd
Gavin Hewitt is stepping down next month after ten years as the chief executive of the Scotch Whisky Association, balancing the needs of member whisky companies with the industry’s overall best interests as Scotch whisky sales have exploded globally. On this week’s WhiskyCast In-Depth, he’ll go through the highlights of the last ten years and a few things he would have done differently. In the news, Diageo says it doesn’t need to make a bid for Beam to succeed in the Bourbon business, Wild Turkey brings back its 101-proof Rye whiskey, and we’ll have a complete roundup of new whiskies hitting the market this week.
Links: Scotch Whisky Association | Diageo | Wild Turkey | Glenmorangie | Cutty Sark | Compass Box | Old Pulteney | English Whisky Company | A. Smith Bowman | Johnnie Walker | Brooks Brothers | Buffalo Trace | Michter’s | Brandy Library | CaskStrength Creative | The Glenrothes
Dr. Matthew Crow of Diageo is one of Scotch Whisky’s up-and-coming blenders. Working under Dr. Jim Beveridge, he helped create Johnnie Walker Double Black and worked with Jim last year on the £120,000 John Walker & Sons Diamond Jubilee whisky to mark Queen Elizabeth’s 60th anniversary on the throne. In the past year, he’s helped create three new Talisker releases, and joins us on this week’s WhiskyCast In-Depth to discuss the subtle differences in blending Single Malts versus Blended Scotch whiskies. In the news, Heaven Hill opens the Evan Williams Bourbon Experience on Louisville’s Main Street, Glenfiddich releases a special whisky to support wounded warriors, and we’ll take a look at the 2014 Malt Whisky Yearbook with editor Ingvar Ronde.
Links: Talisker | Evan Williams | Buffalo Trace | Single Oak Project | Glenfiddich | Walking With The Wounded South Pole Allied Challenge | Balblair | GlenDronach | Glengoyne | Malt Whisky Yearbook | Compass Box
This week, we’ll take a tour of a distillery very few people ever get to visit, Beam’s Alberta Distillers facility in Calgary, Alberta. 80% of the distillery’s whisky is sold in bulk to clients around the world, which means if you’ve tried all but a few Canadian whiskies, the chances are pretty good Rick Murphy and his team had something to do with them. The remaining 20% is bottled under the Alberta Premium and Alberta Springs labels for the Canadian market, along with the Tangle Ridge label available in the US and a few other markets.
The distillery is on the edge of the Canadian Rockies, which means high altitude, low humidity, and lots of cold and snow. One of their innovations is a unique “straddle loader” to move barrels of whisky around without the risk of using a forklift in extreme weather.
In the news…still no arrests in the Pappy Van Winkle theft, Diageo opens a new Scotch whisky warehousing complex in Fife, and Jim Murray names his whisky of the year for the 2014 Whisky Bible.
Links: Alberta Distillers | Old Rip Van Winkle | Diageo | Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible | Glenmorangie | Collingwood | The Dalmore | Celtic Whiskey Shop | Fettercairn
This week, we’re in Banff, Alberta for a very special Bowmore weekend in the heart of the Canadian Rockies. The “Bowmore on the Rockies” weekend featured a dinner with the entire 1964 Bowmore Trilogy series of Black, White, and Gold Bowmores, the 1995 release of the original Black Bowmore, and the 1964 Bowmore Fino Sherry Cask. Morrison Bowmore’s Master of Malts, Iain McCallum, joins me to discuss the newest releases from Bowmore, Auchentoshan, and Glen Garioch, along with some of the issues facing the whisky business today. In the news, the man wanted for questioning in the Pappy Van Winkle theft turns out to be Bardstown High School’s principal…who told investigators he was trying to buy some Pappy, not sell it.
Links: Bowmore | Kensington Wine Market | Lexington Herald-Leader | Old Rip Van Winkle | Chattanooga Whiskey Company | Douglas Laing & Co. | Teeling Whiskey Company | Buffalo Trace | Scotch Malt Whisky Society Canadian Chapter | Chase Mission Main Street | Glenfarclas | Springbank
Ireland’s Kilbeggan Distillery is said to be the world’s oldest whiskey distillery, and it’s now being run by what may well be one of the youngest head distillers. Andrina Fitzgerald grew up a few miles from Kilbeggan, and was promoted to head distiller shortly after Beam acquired Kilbeggan as part of the Cooley Whiskey deal. We’ll hear from this rising star in the whiskey business on this week’s WhiskyCast In-Depth. In the news, the latest from Kentucky on the Pappy van Winkle theft, along with an update on the Teeling family’s plans for a new distillery in Dublin. This week’s tasting notes include the “hottest” whisky in the world right now, this year’s Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 20-year-old Bourbon.
Links: Kilbeggan | Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery | Buffalo Trace | Franklin County Sheriff | Woodford Reserve | Teeling Whiskey Company | Dad’s Hat | William Grant & Sons | The Macallan | Master of Malt | Michter’s | Astor Center
The most secure jobs in the whisky business may be the coppersmiths at Forsyth’s of Rothes in Scotland, since almost all of the major distillery construction projects underway worldwide are buying their stills from Forsyth’s. We got word of two more new distilleries this week…the Morrison family’s Glasgow Whisky Distillery to be built on the Queen’s Dock along the River Clyde and Bernard Walsh’s new distillery in County Carlow, Ireland. Tim Morrison and Bernard Walsh join us to discuss their plans on WhiskyCast In-Depth. In the news, the search is on for the “Pappy Pilferer”, two whisky auctions this week raised tens of thousands of dollars for charities, and if you’re feeling a cold coming on, this week’s tasting notes may have just the answer.
Links: A.D. Rattray | The Irishman | Old Rip Van Winkle | Buffalo Trace | Bonhams | Worshipful Company of Distillers | The Balvenie | Glenfiddich | Glenmorangie | anCnoc | Johnnie Walker | Speyburn
With 28 malt whisky distilleries and two grain whisky distilleries in Scotland, Diageo almost always has something going on. Dr. Nick Morgan is head of whisky outreach for the world’s largest whisky producer, and we sat down in New York City this week with drams of Talisker Storm to discuss the malt’s U.S. debut, this year’s special releases, and more for this week’s WhiskyCast In-Depth segment. In the news, plans for another malt distillery in Scotland are getting clearer, Arran releases its Millennium Casks, and WhistlePig unleashes The Boss Hog. We’ll also hear WhiskyCast listeners venting their frustrations (and singing their praises) in this week’s Your Voice.
Links: Classic Malts | Diageo | Business Standard | Kyndal | United Spirits | Office of Fair Trading | William Grant & Sons | Arran | High West | WhistlePig Rye | Sia | Brenne | The Bon Accord | The Brandy Library | Parker Beam’s Promise of Hope Fund | Talisker | Kilchoman